A scattered post about essays, old trends, and bathroom policies by Luca Budofsky

I wrote a long post partially because I couldn’t decide what to write about and because I did it and it's too late to go back so enjoy. 

Another school year and already almost a month has passed and it simultaneously feels like it just started and has been going for years. Aah the inevitable monotony of the American education system. 

To be honest, school doesn’t have to feel monotonous, but as of this week I have been particularly fixated on that feeling, as so much of my focus the last few days has been on writing an essay about a graphic novel where monotony is a major theme (predictably close to its deadline of course.) 

In my endeavor to make essay writing less painful I chose to read the graphic novel Ghost World which follows two recently graduated high schoolers who are cynical to a fault, in their day to day endeavors as they try to figure out what to do with their lives. It left me with a lot to think about and a lot to think about that was completely unrelated to the essay I needed to write. For example, the main character, Enid, criticizes the “alternative” stereotypes and basically the “edgy teens” of her generation and it's funny to me how much it reminded me of criticism of vsco girls and e-boy internet culture. There were so many characters with exact parallels in 2019. They’re still here and their mentalities are still here, they’re just adapted to internet culture. And people are still arguing about them being fake. The 90s are so interesting to look at as someone from generation z.

Not everything is so gray and boring though. There are things happening. The world is burning, I'm heading tech design, and there are new bathroom policies. Of course the new bathroom policies! What’s up with those? Personally, I feel the introduction of scanners and monitors feels very invasive. School shouldn’t feel so confining. I understand that they’re trying to control vaping but not at the cost of eliminating the already highly restricted sense of freedom and privacy that anyone ought to be able to have. And the enforcement hasn’t been consistent either.

School will always to some degree be monotonous but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Each year promises new challenges and experiences and always will and that's monotony you can rely on. Don’t get too caught up in the monotony because there's so much to enjoy. New school years are alright and I'm tired. But it’s ok. New school years are alright. 

Hope y’all doin well don't judge me thx bye.

Image result for ghost world comic

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough