Freshman Year Sports by Heather Holick

Freshman year I played volleyball, basketball and softball. All three sports seasons were remotely different, including different people, different atmospheres, and different coaches. Prior to the summer before freshman year I had never played volleyball. My whole life I've played softball on travel and club teams year round. The only advantage of having played softball when it comes to volleyball is in serving because your arm tends to be stronger from throwing, other then that the sports are completely incomparable. Throughout the season our team had many ups and downs but my teammates and Tobin really made it enjoyable. I had never played a sport that doesn't have a time limit aspect in one way or another. In volleyball in order to win, you have to get a set amount of points. In this case its 3 sets of 25 points. Which to me is one of the most interesting things about it because you dont lose or win a set until that 25th point is scored. Plus even if you do lose the first set, the game isn't over. You are given the opportunity to redeem yourself in the second and third sets. In sports like basketball or softball after an inning or quarter the score doesn't just go back to 0-0, you don't get the opportunity to start over in that way which is why volleyball is so unique to me.
Basketball was an adventure to say the least. Our team lacked skills considering the season started off with a 55 to 6 loss but I've never been on a team that improved so significantly as the season went on. My teammates specifically Katie Groome made basketball so entertaining. I distinctly remember a time where she was trying to set a screen but instead of stopping before the player she completely ran her over making everyone laugh on and off the court. It was my favorite sport last year because it was more of a learning experience than a competition. Lollgen was our basketball coach and evidently this year is my history teacher. What makes him a really good coach and teacher is he really gets the know all his players and students. He's very laid back which created an environment where we as players weren't afraid to make mistakes. 


As for softball I only played in one game and a couple practices the whole season because I was injured. Although I didn't get the opportunity to play last year, I have been playing the sport since I was in first grade. I have played in so many tournaments and games throughout my life and it will always be my overall favorite sport because to me there's nothing like getting a great hit or sliding into home to win a game. Through these sports I have created such great friendships and learned so many valuable life lessons. All three of these sports taught me so much and overall made freshman year really fun. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough