Soccer By: Olivia Enderle

Soccer isn't just a sport to me. I have unbelievably been playing for almost 12 years, which still fathoms me. Some of my biggest accomplishments have derived from soccer itself such as making a competitive club team and helping that team get to championships last year in Seattle Washington. 
Having soccer every day after school is a handful but is so much fun. Being able to play with my best friends at school every day is what I love about high school soccer. High school definitely allows me to be more confident, without all the eyes of college coaches watching. I love the experience of playing for my town and with my school best friends.
I am lucky enough to be able to pay club soccer during the spring months when high school soccer isn't in session. Club soccer provides a base for me to play more competitively and exposes me to a high level of play that just isn't possible in high school. My club team allows playing in front of colleges where I hope to continue my soccer career. Although the great opportunities my club team comes along with, it brings extra stress to be just as good as those around me (which definitely is a challenge). When I don't get chosen to be put in, or chosen to go to a camp it makes me feel as I'm not good enough. But I have learned that comparing myself to others does me no good. Focusing on what I need to do to become better is the solution to when I fell behind. I have dedicated so much to the sport that it can be stressful and overwhelming at times, but the feeling of making that perfect pass or even scoring makes up for all of the pressure. 
The reason I fell in love with soccer is that it acts outlet for me. No matter how stressed, sad, or angry I am, when my foot touches the ball, it acts as an escape. A distraction from all my worries in the world is solved by none the less kicking a ball around. 
The sport also allowed me to meet some of my best friends. When starting travel soccer, I unknowing meet the group of friends that I would have for continuous years later and that I love to death. The thought of surviving middle school and high school without them is crazy and incomprehensible. We have basically grown up together and being together for every big step with each other. The girls on my club team are my best friends that I am annoyed don't live closer. All of us span from the middle of Pennsylvania to New Jersey. The countless hours that we spend together from Seattle, Washington to West Palm Beach, Florida are unforgettable. Traveling with my best friends is an experience like no other that is accountable for millions of memories. High school soccer has allowed me to meet and bond with upperclassmen that I wouldn't have even talked to without the sport. I am extremely thankful for soccer for giving me friendships that will last a lifetime.
Soccer has and always will be a major part of my life. Without it, my life would be completely different. From the endless car rides that force me up to get up at 4:30 AM to winning major games are all memories that I will forever cherish till the day I die.
2019-09-09 071.JPG2019-09-09 002.JPG

Comments

  1. You will always have fond memories of this time of your life because of soccer! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough