Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough


After a bit of pondering on what story I should put on display for the topic of creative writing, I realized that my idea bank is completely dry. So, as they say, write from experience!

The holidays are fast approaching, as they always are and with it, a new decade. 2020. That's a big one. When we look back in time, it seems as if everything gets classified by the decade. The '70s are groovy, the '80s are colorful, the '90s are... slimy? All I can think of is Moon Shoes and Nickelodeon-gak. And Rugrats. For some reason, our culture has always been obsessed with nostalgia. The kids that got inspired grew up, and they draw from their childhood, which then inspires the next generation, who writes about their childhood and so forth.

For us, that means our generation is going to reflect on the 2010s when we're our parents' age, just the same way they talk about the '80s. It's scary but it's true. Instead of comic books and magazines, we'll be telling our children about TikTok (yikes). That got me thinking about what memories I'm going to look back on as shaping my childhood. I mean technically I was born in 2003 but let's be real I can't really even remember things before 7th grade.

I'll remember midnight beach-side bike rides,
parking-lot shopping cart drives.
And manhunt in the woods,
playing pool games on the lake-side docks.
Finding every couch cushion in the house for towers and forts.
Sliding down the steps in discarded boxes.
Going to Germany.
Going to Mexico.
Playing soda-surrogate beer pong.
Breaking my fingers in foosball matches.
Hating Justin Beiber just because.
Trading Halloween candy with the neighbors down the street.
Telling secrets, scary stories, awful jokes.
Organizing times to meet up on Club Penguin, ToonTown, and Runescape.
I don't even have to say it but... MINECRAFT!
Practicing Guitar Hero with my dad.
Learning to draw, learning to play violin.
Bringing my computer on long car rides to watch my Spongebob DVDs.
Youtube all day long.
Hating my siblings and loving my siblings.
Leaving my siblings and missing my siblings.
My cousins telling me they're going to church (they're going to Dave & Buster's).
Laying in the grass.
Painting my face.
Cotton candy and snowcones.
Ke$ha.
Birthday parties at gymnasiums that had those weird McDonald's play places.
Summer days spent at Mt. Creek.
Begging for silly bands and those little toy erasers.
Sneaking into R rated movies.
Riding my scooter to the bus stop each morning.
Running downstairs after school to play Ocarina of Time.
Super Smash Bros. tournaments (on Melee, obviously. Brawl is for weenies).
Making smores by a campfire.
And so much more.

My list could go on and on. I'm going to miss the 2010s. Our decade is now the past. Our first kisses, first heartbreaks, first jobs, obsessions, crazes, trends, fads, TV shows, movies, and music. I don't know about you reading this but this decade has memories that are going to last me a lifetime.
Here's to making some more!

Image result for 2010s nostalgia

(Why is my new haircut the same as what I had in 2010...................)

Comments

  1. This is hilarious! I was laughing throughout the whole thing.

    Not that I've lived through them, but the 90s do indeed seem slimy. Foosball was the one sport (is it a sport?) I was actually good at. Oh man, Minecraft.... what a time. 2010 you knew what was up.

    Like you said, here's to a new decade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i luv u. Pretty sure foosball is a professional sport somewhere in the world.

      Delete
  2. Wow, it’s crazy to think that a new decade is upon us! This blog post was incredibly relatable! We’ve lived through so many crazy fads and I still think I’ll never forget any of them (even if I want to for some... I’m looking at you furbees). Reading this has made me really nostalgic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was writing this I kind of had an existential crisis ngl. I mean it's not like our childhood is over but our decade is.

      Delete
  3. I love that you wrote this because you're right that every generation looks back on those formative years with fondness. Print this and save it, look at it when we enter the 30's. I also can't believe it's about to be the 20's! I was 19 when we went into a new century and that was such a crazy thought. Time goes by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to think that I will always have these years to look back on

      Delete
  4. Wow! That picture at the end reminded me of some crazy things haha! That was really well written and brought back a wave of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thank you and im glad it worked and brought back some stuff!

      Delete
  5. Wow so many memories! It's crazy to rethink of all the things we did when we were younger. Making a mental list of things I did will really remind me of those days woowww.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO much nostalgia!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, loved your creativity. Such a fun topic and a way to reflect over the past couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this but it made me so sad. Even though this is the only time I've gotten to live in, I think it's always going to be a favorite. These have been some of the best years of our lives and I'm reallyyy going to miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me so sad and brought up memories I didn't even know I had!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough