What Music Is The Best For Studying? By Mia Jardine

A lot of students listen to music while they are studying, but what music is proven to be the best for this task? Will you get a higher score on your history test if you listen to Beethoven instead of Louis Armstrong while reviewing for it? Well, according to Marsha Godkin, a professor at Northcentral University, classical or meditation music is the best option, or basically any genre of music without lyrics. Songs that have a fast tempo can also be distracting, the optimal beats per minute are from 60 to 70. Music that is too slow can also relax you to a point where it’s hard to keep working. Making personal study playlists can also help more than pre-curated playlists or stations on apps like Spotify since you don’t have to feel the need to skip unwanted songs and it also can help you time how long you want to study. When the music is over, take a break or take a final glance over your material. Other options for studying music are nature sounds, spa music, lo-fi music, or anything you personally enjoy that isn’t too distracting.  Godkin also claims “music activates both the left and right brain at the same time, and the activation of both hemispheres can maximize learning and improve memory.” At the end of the day, no genre of music or artist will help you ace a test, but narrowing your music to genres that might help you focus more than others will ultimately help you more than hurt you. Remember, keep the volume of your music down, it’s supposed to be background noise. 

Sources:



Comments

  1. i love music. exellent work chap

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I've found out recently that sometimes when I play scores really loudly (like the instrumentals from Westworld, Game of Thrones, Minecraft etc.) I somehow work a lot more productively. I don't really understand it but hey, that's music for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered why I haven't been able to listen to music and get any work done. Maybe because I always blast loud guitar-driven music. Maybe I should try something a little calmer and without lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good to know, I'll have to think about this in the future. I get so distracted without music or something while I'm working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info! When I was in HS/college and listened to music while I was writing papers, I once accidentally typed a lyric in the middle of my writing and didn't notice....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough