A Dogs Thanksgiving: Anthony Del Coro

On this particular day the smell of food fills the house early in the morning. People scatter around the kitchen, shuffling around and bumping into each other. Occasional scraps of food are dropped on the ground, but nothing worth running for. All the food that is dropped is either uncooked or a vegetable, not very appetizing. Every thing starts to slow down eventually. The TV turns on and is a constant background noise as people scurry around spraying bottles and wiping the counters. And then out of the closet comes the machine. It has two white, blinding eyes and makes the most horrible sound you could ever imagine. I try to scare it and try to beat it in our barking competition but it seems to have a endurance that I can't mach. After 5 minutes of trying and scowls from all the people around me I retreat to my bed. The subtle smell of smoke begins to fill the house, inside the giant stone cage a fire rages. Something about it is calming and I lay in front of it feeling the warmth on my fur. Out of no where knocks on the door interrupt my slumber. I bolt up and run straight to the door to see who it is. As soon as the door opens I greet them with a leap and some barks. I run around to try and get there attention but to no avail. In a few minutes more people come and the process repeats until everyone has said hello and platters of food are moved from the kitchen to the dinner table. Everyone begins to quite down until only one voice is talking. And one by one they talk individually until there is clinking and everyone erupts into talking. This is my favorite part! As the dishes are passed around the table they decide to share their feast and droop treats all along the carpet. And I happily accept all of their gifts. For about an hour this continues but by the time they are all getting up I am too tired to entertain them so I retreat back to the fireplace and slowly fall asleep to the sound of the fire. All together it was a great day to be a dog.
Image result for dog dinner table

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough