How To Start Off 2020 by Liz Russo

In English class on the last day of school of 2019, we were asked to reflect on our year.  Filling out the best songs I listened to and movies I watched this year was easy. But when I got to questions like "What was your greatest adventure this year?" or "What was the best part of your year", I wasn't able to answer them. During class I skipped over the questions, but later in the day it really started to trouble me. Had I really not done anything exciting this year? So many people say high school was such a fun time, and I started to feel like I was missing out on something. Why was I not having the same experience in high school as every other teenager?

And then it hit me: it's all what you make of it. I was having so much trouble thinking of what fun things I did over the year because during the year, I wasn't appreciating the fun things. I took for granted all of the times I spent with my friends- laughing so hard tears were coming out of my eyes. Or kayaking a mile to jump off of rocks with my cousins. Even being snowed in the house with no power and having to play board games. 

That's when I came up with the perfect New Year's resolution- make 2020 the best year so far because it is all what you make of it. I will do this by looking at the brighter side of things. Sure, school is tedious and stressful, but it's a place I get to see my friends almost everyday and a place where I can make new friends. Okay so having a summer job can be annoying because you can't sleep in, but you're being productive and making money! Stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things can be scary, but what if I like the new thing. Even if I don't like it, I will be able to say I tried it. 

Next year at this time I want to be able to answer what my best part of the year was and what my greatest adventure was without a second thought. These questions will be just as easy as the best movie or book. And starting off the new year with the most positive attitude is how I will do it!
Image result for 2020 new year

Comments

  1. I admire that you can hold your head high even in times of stress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea for 2020! I'm glad that sheet made you think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough