A Script That I Probably Won't do Anything With ~~Mel Schweizer



So, I really want to start writing and directing a short film before the end of the year, but I don't really have any ideas for a story yet. I'm going to try and write a practice script here. Hope you enjoy! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is unfinished, but I may work on it again at some point. Basically it's about an awkward teen dealing with friend troubles and looking for a job to find her summer. Originally I was going to have her in a love triangle, but I wanted to stop the script before it got too long, because no one would read the entire thing- for sure 😂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENTER RORY
Close-up on RORY, red with acne, wearing a backpack
Camera pans through hallway to a classroom and Rory walks in to see her friend

RORY: Hey Dyl.

Rory sits next to her friend

DYLAN: Mhm.

RORY: What? Tuesday troubles?

Rory chuckles slightly

RORY: Dude, what's up with you? Are you good?

DYLAN shifts in his seat and looks her in the eye, glaring. He shoves his earbuds in his ears.

The BELL rings and morning announcements start

RORY: (whispering) Dylan, talk to me. Please?

DYLAN: I can't hear you, my earbuds are in.

RORY: (now speaking) Come on, dude. I can't do anything if I don't know why you're mad.

Dylan ignores Rory

RORY: Dyl!

 MR BINDEL looks up from the lesson plan he was studying

Mr. BINDEL: Guys, quiet! Keep talking if you want a detention.

RORY: Sorry, Bindel.

MR BINDEL: I don't need to hear it.

The BELL rings again, DYLAN storms out
RORY follows close behind

DYLAN: Stop following me Rory, everything's fine. You're gonna be late to class, and so am I.

RORY: Are you kidding? The bell legitimately JUST rang. I'll make it to class on time. Why are you being so mean?

Dylan: Rory, stop. I'm not feeling great today and I don't need to hear your bullshit right now!

Rory: Ouch...

Rory and Dylan stop walking

Dylan: ... Hey, I'm sorry. I'm just pissed off today. Maybe I'll talk to you later, but you need to give me a second. I need to be alone.

Rory: I know. I'm sorry too. We'll talk later...

Dylan walks off

Rory stands

The bell rings again - transition to lunchtime

Dylan sits next to Rory who is alone at this point

Dylan: Hey.

Rory: Hey.

Short pause

Rory: I'm sorry for badgering this morning, I ju-

Dylan: It's okay- you don't have to say anything. I just had a rough morning. The dog ran out and I had to catch him before he got killed, and that meant missing the bus, and that meant getting yelled at by my mother first thing in the morning.

Rory places a hand on his shoulder

Rory: yeah,

Dylan: I don't know. I shouldn't have taken it out on you. You know you're my closest friend- I know better than to try and lose you.

Rory: Aw, I love you too Dyl.

Dylan: Here, I picked this up from the bulletin board by the main office. I know you've been looking for a job. Maybe you'd be interested?

Dylan hands Rory a flier for job openings at the local theater

Rory: Hm, maybe. I'll check it out. Hey, you should do it with me! I think we'd have fun. And, I wouldn't really have to try and make friends with my coworkers, 'cause you'd be there. Why not?

Dylan: I don't know Ry. I have to take care of David and Danny. Mom's working two jobs again, and....

Rory: I get it. Yeah.

Dylan: It's just a lot. And school doesn't really help with the situation. I wish I had more time though.

Dylan looks into Rory's eyes

She takes a sharp breath in and blushes

Dylan: Hey, you good? You just got more red than usual.

Rory's breath hitches a bit

Rory: Yeah. All good.

Dylan places a hand on Rory's hand

Dylan: You sure?

Rory: Yeah... Maybe I'm just getting sick.

Dylan: Okay, well, I have some zicam if you need. Here-

Enter JENNA
JENNA barges in, sits next to Rory and Dylan

JENNA: Heyo!

Dylan: Oh hey Jenna. Oh! Do you have the study guide for Math?

JENNA: Um, I think so. You need it?

Dylan: Yes, please.

They smile at each other

Rory: Hey Jen, can I show you something actually? It's important.

Rory tugs on Jenna's shirt, attempting to get her to move

Jenna: Oh, okay...

Dylan: What's going on?

Rory: Um... Just girl problems

Rory gives a nervous laugh

Rory Drags Jenna to the bathroom

Jenna: Hey, what's up?

Rory: I- I don't know. He just looked at me and I started blushing and I don't know what to do, or what's going on, and-

Jenna: Wait, wait, wait- Who's "he"? Dylan?

Rory looks at her, wide-eyed

Rory covers her face and nods

Rory: It's just- he's been my best friend for years. What do I do? I just care about him so much. I don't want to ruin what we have.

Jenna: Oh man, I'm sorry. I don't know what to say. Uh why don't we-

Rory starts sniffling

Jenna: Aw, Rory. It'll be okay. I promise.

Rory: I just don't want to ruin our friendship. I can't tell him.

Jenna hugs Rory as she cries and sinks to the floor

Jenna: I know, I know.

Camera fades to black

Cut to Rory in her room in a similar sitting position holding the flier from Dylan

Rory sips juice and gets up to move to the computer

Rory: Hey, Mom! Can you come here for a sec?

Pause

Rory: Moooomm!

ENTER Rory's MOM

MOM: I'm here, I'm here. What hon?

Rory: Hey. Dylan gave me this flier for a job. I wanna save up for the summer. It's at the theater. What do you think?

Mom: What's going on this summer? I thought you were staying home. Do you have plans to go away?

Rory: No, no, I'm staying home. Just tell me what you think of this, please?

Mom: So why do you need money? Is there something you're not telling me? Hon, you can't just spring up a surprise vacation on me, we need to talk about it with your fath-

Rory: Mom! I'm not going away! I just don't wanna use your cash. You spend too much on me and I just feel bad, ok? Could you just help me with this? I want to sign up for a job application. Please.

Mom: Hey, Don't talk to me that way! You're being disrespectful!

Rory: Oh, now I'm being disrespectful?

Rory prepares to yell and stops herself. She acts in a calm manner

Rory: Hmph. Okay, I'm sorry. I just wanted your opinion on this. Can you please help me? I know you probably had a crappy day at work. I'm sorry. What can I do to help?

Mom: Aw, I know hon. I'm sorry too. A coffee would be nice. Would you mind? I'll look this over while you brew it for me.

Rory stands to leave, frowning slightly

Rory: Yeah. Sure.

Rory EXITS

Fade to black

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay I think this script has gone on for long enough and it's totally unfinished, but I doubt anybody has even read this far anyways lol. Hope you enjoyed!



Comments

  1. A script is a really great way to be creative! I hope you do something with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough