Basketball - Heather Holick

I was really skeptical about playing basketball this year. Basketball isn't my favorite sport and i'm not very good at it. Last year playing was fun but I know its not taking me anywhere in life so I didn't really want to play. However, after some persuasion from my friends and Wille I was back on the court in November. The beginning of the season was rough, we ran a lot and practices were much harder than last year. I began to wonder if playing basketball was a mistake and if I should have just focused on school. After winter break was when I really started to enjoy it.

I spent more time with my team than anyone else in the last couple months. Here are some of this seasons memories. In January we all got stuck in Roxbury after our bus broke down. We were there for a good hour before we had to call our parents to come and get us because it wouldn't start. In practices we would be scrimmaging against each other and someone would fall or get hit in the head with the ball and my entire team would be on the floor laughing. One time after practice we went to someones house for a pasta diner and I remember not even being able to eat because we just couldn't stop laughing. Before every home game we would go out to eat as a team and we hung out many times outside of basketball. Times like those is what really makes playing a sport worth it. We had many good wins and some tough losses but we always played as a team. I formed some great friendships with the girls on my team, people that I wouldn't know if I had decided not to play. Being with people I wouldn't normally hangout with especially the freshman on my team really showed me how sports teams bring people together. I genuinely had so much fun practicing and playing basketball this season. If you don't know whether you should do something just try it because you might wind up having a great time.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough