Celestial Bodies by Paige Mongon

As I compose the last blog post of my sophomore year (I hate to be cheesy, but it’s kinda surreal even just
writing that), I’m at a loss of what to discuss. A majority of my blog posts this year (or, let’s be honest, ALL
of my blog posts this year) have been rants, so I figured that maybe for this blog I should do something a
little different. I’ve always loved writing poems, but I haven’t composed any in a while (aside from the
recent English assignment, of course). So, for this blog post, I’ve decided to write a (very short) free verse
poem inspired by the late hours I keep (which unintentionally began to derail into a poem about the stars
whoops). Admittedly, it is not the longest of poems, nor is it the most eloquent, but nonetheless here it is (:


celestial bodies
i am one of the night 
it is i who knows the moon, 
i who embraces her coruscating light
with the familiarity of an old friend
i seek solace in the evanescent stars
in their comforting glimmer 
for they are the ones
who keep me company 
throughout the lonely hours 
as they stand stoic guardians 
over the eternal inky vastness of space 
companions of the planets and moons
they shine unabashedly 
their ethereal glow 
seeping down to comfort earthly objects 
their soft light dripping like spun honey 
from trees swathed in the protective darkness
that is the unapologetic night
a night which is not broken but 
rather carefully speckled 
by the intermittent light of celestial bodies
whose distance does little 
to hinder their benevolent luminescence
as they stand meticulous watch 
over a slumbering earth 
and her not-so slumbering inhabitants



It’s a wide, wild, wonderful place out there (:

Comments

  1. This is beautiful paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful poem and it's not cheesy - it is surreal when you "finish" things, like 10th grade, and realize just how fast it's all going! Please keep writing - you are one of the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough