Some New Hobbies I've Picked Up During Quarentine- Alexa Acker

At the beginning of quarantine, every day felt exactly the same. I would wake up around 11:30, do homework, watch Netflix, eat, and then go back to sleep. It felt like I was copying and pasting that same routine for 3 weeks straight. After I had had enough of this lifestyle, I came to the realization that it NEEDED to change so I tried to find some new hobbies. Hopefully, this blog will give you some ideas on how not to go insane (like I almost did) in the midst of this quarantine.

1. Sunset Rides/Adventures
- Every night around 8:15 on days that it is somewhat warm out, my siblings and I take an adventure to see the sunset. We live on a golf course so we sometimes ride the golf cart to a ledge on the golf course to see the sunset. Other nights we simply ride our bikes around on the street while admiring the red and pinkish sky. This is by far my favorite new activity that we have been doing to maintain sanity.

2.Hiking
- Another outdoor activity that my family has been doing lately is going on hikes. Something about being in the woods surrounded by trees and breathing in the outdoor air is so refreshing.

3. Bike Riding
-Additionally, we have been going on many bike rides. Sparta, as we all know, isn't the best location to take a bike ride just because there are so many hills and most of the streets are connected by highways and main roads. Because of this, my dad takes us to the town where he grew up, Cedar Knolls, which is the best area to ride bikes. It is a great outdoor activity and also a good source of exercise.

4. Drawing and Painting
- I have never really been a great artist, but I enjoy drawing and painting so much. It somehow relieves so much stress and is such a calming activity. Definitely try painting a picture if you find yourself extremely bored and looking for something to do (even if it ends up looking like trash just like mine).

5.Re-Organize Your Room
- I have re-organized and re-decorated my room a crazy amount of times this quarantine. Walking into a room with the same setup every day became super boring to me and I needed to switch it up so I made a DIY shelf and painted my door. I highly recommend switching up something in your room even if it is just changing up the position of your bed.

6. Puzzles

7.Knitting

8. Take a Day off from Electronics
- A few days ago, I did something CRAZY. I didn't go on my phone all day. For a teenager, this seems almost impossible, but I did it. It was honestly super refreshing and I felt like I was actually productive that day. These days, we are all so addicted to our electronics and screens that I think "unplugging" for a day this summer is important and you should try it!

I hope this blog gave you some ideas on how to not go insane from being stuck at home all the time! Although there are a lot of negatives to this quarantine, my friends and I have agreed that it has bonded us all with our family and opens our eyes to how important spending time with loved ones is.

Comments

  1. I do these too but I think ill trying picking up knitting again and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great and I love that you gave yourself a little technology break!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough