Skateboarding! By: Alexandra Gavioli

I have recently found a new hobby of mine, which is a frequent thing now that I'm in quarantine. I have been wanting to learn how to skateboard for a long time. It may sound really stupid but the whole idea and aesthetic of skating really intrigued me. It was essentially an entire culture based around a hobby. How fascinating! There are millions of skate shops, magazines and clothing brands just from this lifestyle. 

I, along with many others, could be seen wearing brands that might fit this skater aesthetic or vibe so to speak. I just get the best vibes from skateboards, call it a hunch if you please. So, I started my journey to actually learn how to conquer what looked like a death machine to me. This may seem a little drastic to you but I happen to be a very clumsy girl. Come on, do I look athletic to you? I learned how to ride a bike when I was 12! It usually takes me a while to learn things, but I am pretty determined so it turns at well most of the time.

Now, I had no excuses to keep me away from what my mind seemed to believe was some unspoken forbidden quest. I was just someone who wore the fashion occasionally, but no longer! I decided to start out with what I thought would be easier, a penny board. This is essentially a smaller skateboard that is easier to maneuver, but also happens to be faster. My sister can kind of skate so I required her help and numerous YouTube videos. When I finally mustered up my courage I went outside and did my best. Surprisingly I'm not half bad. I am not good in any stance but I'm proud of only falling once or twice. 

My new favorite past time is my sister running while I'm on the skateboard holding her hand. It's super fun and I haven't gotten the hang of continually pushing myself so this works great. We did this for a while through my dads beach town's streets and earned plenty of stares. As you might imagine being a beach town and all meant there were lots of experienced skateboarders. We probably looked so funny to them haha. 

Anyways, I am very grateful for this new pastime and being able to get out of my comfort zone. I also got to spend some more time with my sister. Who knows maybe I could meet up with some skater people in my Dad's town too ;))

The false stereotype of skateboarding – The Milford Messenger

Comments

  1. This is great! I want to see a video of this skateboarding!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Fate, Just a Coincidence - Sila Paniker

Grace vs. the Tortoise - by Grace McDonough

Goodbye 2010s - Grace McDonough